Saturday, January 12, 2013

Am I Really that Hard to Please?

I feel horrible about making my contractors redo work.  The first time is when they started to restain the railing and steps.  I happen to peak in after they had a small portion of it done, they asked me what I thought and my initial reaction was that it was too dark.  They told me that this is the color I had asked for "espresso" and that it is the same paint that was used in the sample even though the sample looked quite a bit lighter.  I told them that it must be through the application because even the two samples both used the same color but one was quite darker because it was 2 coats.  They assured me that it was only one coat so it is as light as it can be.  I let them convince me for the moment but felt unsettled about it and had to keep coming back in to see if I would like it anymore.  At the end, I told them I was dissappointed with how it turned out.  They finally listened and started coming up with options.  They ended up having to sand it all down again and this time diluted the stain a bit to make it lighter.  All in all 4 guys, 4 hours = 16 man hours

Next came the spindles, in the original contract they put in 1 3/4 in square spindles.  Then I asked if we could so something a bit more interesting.  They decided to do try something custom.  The custom one sample came out nice so I said go for it.  They spent 1 day custting the spindles to size, 1 day routing it, 1 day installing and it just did not look right.  It looked way to busy and way too close together.  They said they had to put them back in the same spot as the old ones, but since the size was much bigger, the open flowing space ceased to exist.  Not to mention a lot of the custom spindles were badly damaged.  I decided to go to Home Depot and see what was available and got some thinner plain ones.  They pulled down all the ones they put up and in the end we are going with a cobination of home depot and custom ones.  At the end of the day, they are only charging me $350 more and have been super nice about it but I still feel horrible.  I don't mean to cause extra work for people, or even make the project be so delayed but I am putting a lot of money into it so I want it to be perfect.    I feel happy about my choice but am still feeling unsettled.  Crossing my fingers it all turns out well....

No comments:

Post a Comment