Monday, January 19, 2015

Anjay's Favorite - Khichi


Anjay has always loved his mom's cooking but one that has always been at the top is Khichi.  It is an acquired taste as the first time I tried it I was not a fan but after 11 years being in the Bharadwa family it is actually something I enjoy.  Avani and Aria have yet to acquire the taste.  It is a doughy flavorful mixture kinda like a spicy sticky cookie dough.  After getting the recipe from Anjay's cousin, Anita, I thought it was time to head to the Indian store since it's the weekend and give it a try.

When at an Indian grocery store it can be a bit hard to find stuff if you aren't sure exactly how to pronounce it so I had to enlist my mother-in-laws help once again to speak with the guy behind to counter to find my ingredients!  For future reference this is what Kharo looks like.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 tbsn cumin seeds
1 tbsn sesame seeds
1 tspn salt
1 tspn papdio Kharo
1 green chili (mom said 2 but I was too scared and I used jalapeños)
1 bowl rice flour (I used cereal bowls)
2 tbsn oil
Serve with:
Red chili powder
Oil

Instructions:
1.  In a pot boil 2 bowls of water with the seeds, salt, and Kharo.  Let boil for 8 minutes.


2.  Grind the chili to make a paste
3.  Take the boiled mixture off the stove and add the paste
4.  Slowly add in the rice flour bit by bit because it will get lumpy quickly if you don't 
5.  Add oil
6.  Stir well and return to low heat


7.  Stir regularly for 30 minutes




Mine ended up being very dry and got lumpy so (I had to call mom a few times) we ended up adding 3 bowls of water and mixed thoroughly.  It wasn't perfect but we were close.  Anjay had seconds!









No comments:

Post a Comment