Monday, January 26, 2015

I want my Baby Back Baby Back Ribs

I have fond memories of going to Chili's as a kid with my family and LOVING the baby back ribs.  I never thought I, someone who hardly knows how to turn on the oven, would be attempting to make them.  Surprisingly they are really really easy.

When I figured out that I wanted to start cooking, I knew just the person to help me out.  Except for the fact that she lives 750 miles away, Shivani was perfect to help me with this.  First of all, she is an amazing sister in law (Anjay's cousin's wife) and even though has only been married into the family a few short years, has made me feel like she enjoys my company and has been the first one to treat me the way I had always hoped to be treated as family (see my very first blog for more on that topic).  She has an adorable little baby boy too, Aditya, who is just 2 months old so understands the need for quick meals and most importantly KNOWS HOW TO COOK.  I love the few dishes I have had the pleasure to try and Anjay has texted me pictures of the food she has made for him when on business trips so I know my husband approves as well.





She sent me a few recipes which I will be trying and sharing as well but pointed me towards this slow cooker recipe for ribs

Anjay picked up the pork ribs from Aldi.  I was all ready to get started and he asked me if I wanted him to take off the fat.  Well, I didn't know you were supposed to do that!  So sure, go ahead, and then in all honesty he ended up doing most of the work.   According to Shivani, we were team building, so its OK. :)



Once we trimmed the fat, we added the seasoning and brown sugar splenda.  We had Hamburger Seasoning on hand so decided to use that.  We did need much more BBQ sauce then described in the recipe, probably more like 2 cups and really you need the full bottle so we had to open a 2nd. 


Finally, you stick it in the slow cooker and try to get it to stand up with the meaty side facing the outside.  We could not get it to stay up, probably because we cut it in half and maybe we shouldn't have, so it kept falling down.  As an extra step, she told me to add some jalapenos on top to spice things up.  Let them sit for 7 hours and serve hot.


They were delicious!  We served them up with fries just like I remember eating them at Chilis and I loved them.  Thanks Shivani!

No comments:

Post a Comment